Monday, August 1, 2011

The time my husband got baptized without telling me beforehand...



So, this happened on Friday night. EastLake had its quarterly worship night, a time where we have communion, play awesome songs, people get baptized. It's a wonderful night of fellowship and shakes things up from the normal Sunday routine, and it's always been a night full of hope and spirit as we celebrate what God has done in our lives and continues to do through our church. This past Friday we switched things up and had our worship night at South Park on Mass St. It was supposed to be our traditional set up, with a stage, screens with lyrics, lights, electric guitars, the works. Rain put a kink in that plan, but I love that everyone just went with the flow and adapted to plan B. That was an acoustic set with the band up on the gazebo, and we all moved our chairs, blankets, and food over to get a better view.

It. was. awesome. It felt like an intimate, unplugged jam session. I feel like everyone who was there felt like it was supposed to be like this-I didn't hear anyone complaining about the abrupt change in plans. The rain never got past a sprinkling until much later at night, and it ended up giving us some relief from the heat. So about halfway through the set, my friend Tisha and I got up to help prepare for the baptism part of the program. I was standing near the changing tent in case anyone decided on the spur of the moment to get baptized-we have extra tshirts, shorts, and towels just in case. I just didn't think it would be my own husband who walked toward me once the people who'd scheduled their baptisms in advance were done!! I'm pretty sure I stood there with my jaw on the ground as he told me he was going up to the gazebo. My buddy Tiff had to tell me to move closer to the center so I could see him better. Honestly, it was such a beautiful moment that I really can't do it justice to try to describe it, but be assured I was a mess. I had hoped at some point Michael would take that step, but every time we talked about it, he didn't want to do it. It had to be right for him, not for me. And Friday was that night. Even if I didn't know it, he did.

*I feel like I owe a little bit of an explanation for any of Michael's family members who may read this. Yes, Michael was baptized when he was a baby. However, as meaningful as it was, it wasn't a conscious decision on his part. We believe that baptism isn't what saves you, but rather, it's a public symbol of an inner commitment to a belief in Jesus. Also, every baptism in the Bible was done by immersion, and even Jesus himself "got out of the water", so we align ourselves with our church in the belief that baptism should be done by immersion and after being of age to consciously decide to follow Christ. So that's why Michael decided to get baptized through immersion on Friday.

Sidenote: Can I just tell you all how much I love this picture? You can't fake joy like that. The guy behind Michael is our pastor, Matt, who we've gotten to know much better over the past year. He's baptized both of us and it's pretty awesome to have a church leader that is also a genuine friend to share in moments like these.

Also this weekend: ice cream at Sylas and Maddys with some girlfriends, laughing so hard my sides hurt, wine, friends who tell me what I need to hear and not just what I want to hear, brunch at First Watch, lots of personal growth with a family situation, a great sermon from Matt on what it means to be a good friend (Also, I need to see Super 8 again). I really love my life and my heart feels light. I have to give huge praise to God for all of these blessings. I have felt God move in BIG ways this weekend and can't wait to see what happens next. Greater things are yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment