Saturday, July 21, 2012

Weekend update

The past few days have been pretty eventful around Casa de Rowland. Wednesday I had my growth group, which was great as it always is, but perhaps even more so with the addition of a homemade cake by one of our group members. Yellow cake with strawberry filling and cream cheese icing w/strawberries and blueberries...clearly, I'm still thinking about it. Yum. 

Anyway, Thursday morning was Lawrence's annual sidewalk sale. I decided to be nuts and be one of 'those people' who gets up at the crack of dawn to go check out the sales. If you're unfamiliar with the sale...it's basically a huge event run by all the stores downtown to draw a crowd with lots of quality items heavily discounted. Lots of stores open at sunrise and it lasts all day. This year I had Lyndsay to drag along with me so I thought it would be fun to go before it reached a thousand degrees outside. After about 3 hours of sleep due to a loud thunderstorm that kept me up, I got up at 5am, made coffee, got dressed, then swung by McDonald's for diet cokes for the both of us. L was in my car by 5:45 am and by 6am we were walking across Mass St. on our way to Gap! We met up there with our friends Anna and Pam, who also decided to be crazy and join in on the fun. There was a pretty decent crowd at Gap but nothing horrendous like it was a few blocks down at Urban Outfitters. I purchased a pair of plaid shorts for Michael for $5! Yes! Anna got some adorable pairs of skinny jeans for her 5 year old son who is starting kindergarten this fall, and Pam bought some cute clothes for her toddler and a gorgeous maxi dress. After that we walked up and down the street a bit just taking it all in. I didn't have anything specific in mind, I wanted to go mainly for the experience. We ended up stopping for a while at a local store named Eccentricity. 


I ended up purchasing some Bare Minerals foundation (which is what I normally use) for $5, a chunky pink bracelet for $3, a pair of "Tory Burch" jelly sandals for $4, and a long teal necklace for $15 (see above). 


After that it was nearly 9 am and my stomach said pay attention to me, so Anna, Lyndsay and I (Pam had to go to work) stopped for breakfast at Milton's. After a delicious meal of eggs benedict we said goodbye so I could go drop Michael off at school. 



Overall I had a really good time and I'm glad I went! I would definitely go again next year, especially if we could time it right so we needed some pieces for our wardrobes (like sneakers-saw some great deals as we passed some sporting goods store)-I think it's better to go with an idea of what you'd like to purchase in order to be on the lookout for those specific deals. 

Thursday night I had a couple of ladies over whom I hadn't been able to spend some quality time with in a while and it was great to catch up with them and hear what's been going on in their lives. Lots of laughter and stories until nearly midnight, which was when we all peeled ourselves from the couches to go to bed. I think my head had barely hit the pillow before I was asleep!

Yesterday I had a job interview! I'm cautiously optimistic. It's for a part time position at our local hospital, working 2 nights a week in the customer call area. Basically it's just answering phones and calling out codes, BUT it would be a great way to get my foot in the door to future possibilities! If I do get offered the position, the boss of the lady who would be my boss is the Marketing Director for the entire hospital, so there's a definite possibility I could work on some projects for her during down time. We'll see what happens! I feel like the interview went really well-I asked lots of questions (there's lots of different codes!) and there weren't too many awkward moments, and at the end she took me back to see the office area where she works and introduced me to one of the ladies who works in the department. I asked some dear friends to pray that this would work out for me and I continue to ask that if you're reading this and are of the praying persuasion. It would be a great next step for me while still getting to maintain my daytime freedom and other part time jobs! Plus the extra money would be a huge relief in getting our family finances back to a less stressful place. :)

Pretty much everyone talked nonstop yesterday about the shooting in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado that left 12 people dead and 38 injured. I had been trying all day to sum up how I feel about it. No doubt a senseless tragedy, and my heart hurts for the families of the victims who now have to come to terms with life without their loved one when all they did was try to go see the final Batman film. Late last night I saw a post by my friend Paul on Facebook. As a Christian, his statement covered everything I had been thinking but had been unable to say. It's okay if you don't agree with it, but I thought I would share since it is my blog. ;)

"Some perspective on the shootings in Colorado: Sin was originated by Adam and Eve in Eden. Then in only ONE generation, brothers began killing each other for no good reason. The entire second generation of man was (at one point) either a murderer or murdered. We live in a fallen, sin-sick world in dire need of Redemption. Gun laws to the right, gun laws to the left... it doesn't matter. More prisons, more schools, more churches... it doesn't matter. That which has not been redeemed is subject to destruction. What the news is telling us: Two perfect parents at home. Went to school in one of the nation's best school districts. Got good grades and went to med school. Active in the church. Liked by all. Never once had any criminal leanings. A little quiet... but pretty normal.

This shooter is an example of what anyone would hope to become someday. We ALL need a savior."

I also came across the blog of one of the survivors, a mom who went to see the movie with two of her teenage daughters. I highly recommend you check out her story here: So you still think God is a merciful God?

Other newsworthy events...if you're friends with me, you may have heard me complaining about the recent heat wave that has hit Kansas. Our air conditioning unit was not equipped to handle it (or so I thought), so for the last 2 weeks or so, we've been dealing with the indoor temps reaching 80 degrees. For some people this would be manageable, but I don't do heat super well. Never have. So it makes me a whiny, irritable, lovely person to be around. ;) Finally I reached my breaking point and gently suggested demanded that an AC tech come take a look at our unit. So that happened yesterday while I was at my job interview. When I got home, Michael told me that there was a hole in one of the ducts, which was causing cool air to go into the crawlspace. So pretty much for the month of June and most of July, we've been paying our electric bill and cooling down the crawlspace to a nice, comfy temp. Whoops. I can laugh about it now that it's fixed. Last night we were even able to do laundry before 10pm without the dryer adding on another degree...amazing! We celebrated by taking a Friday night date to Walmart to get heat reflecting curtains for our kitchen window and some frozen yogurt. While Michael installed those, I watched Dance Moms and made myself a little cocktail of vanilla vodka, OJ, and grenadine. Try it, it's amazing. Perfect end to a long and busy week!

Thank you to everyone who reached out to me after my last blog post. Your love and support means so, so much to me, and I know the journey that I'm on would be impossible without having a network of friends and family to lean on when I need to. Just know that your encouragement means the world to me and keeps me going!


No comments:

Post a Comment