Monday, March 28, 2011

Bracket busted

If you turned on the television, checked facebook, or communicated with the world at all yesterday, you know this Tarheeled Jayhawk had a double whammy of a bracket buster. Both KU AND UNC lost-somewhat deservedly so. Since I had them both in the championship game, my bracket is officially done. Confession: I think I might be more sad about my bracket being messed up than my teams actually losing. I was in first place at EastLake's group bracket-I've never won a bracket pool before! We didn't have any money riding on it, but I may be a wee bit competitive. Oh well...next year, boys!

So along with basketball, I spent my weekend reading. I think I have book ADD, because I can NEVER just have one book at a time. Not sure why that is...SQUIRREL!

What? Right, books. So right now I'm reading my book for my growth group, Made to Crave, which is about Lysa TerKeurst's journey and advice on how to turn to God in place of food when we need comfort, putting him in our plan for a healthy life. It doesn't have a specific food plan or anything, it's more of an emotional/spiritual journey. Loving it so far.

On the nook: Jodi Piccoult's Sing Me Home. It's about a couple who get divorced because the wife is desperate to have a child and they have a stillborn child, and the husband wants to move on. She then gets into a relationship with another woman, while the husband becomes born again and taken in by his brother and his wife. The main plot of the book is a courtroom battle because the wife wants to use their fertilized eggs at a fertility clinic to raise a child with her partner, and the husband wants to give them to his brother and sister in law, and brings in the debate about same sex couples raising children vs traditional families. Not gonna lie, the portrayal of the husband, his pastor, and the homophobia Piccoult gives to the Christian characters makes me uncomfortable. I keep thinking how much these characters need a church like EastLake where they would be accepted no matter what mess they're going through! I do feel like the church the husband goes to is pretty extreme and most people don't have beliefs that go that far-think Westboro Baptist, that is more what Piccoult is going for.

Also just started Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala, the pastor of Brooklyn Tabernacle church in NYC. Only about a chapter in, but it's really interesting-about the history of the church, how Jim and his wife started it with twenty people, and now has over six thousand. My friend Tiff gave it to me because they used prayer as a catalyst for growth, and the story is really about how using prayer can make amazing things happen. Since I just started leading the prayer team at EastLake, it's good for me to get exposed to different ways prayer can make a difference in our lives.

Coming up (as in, arriving from Amazon tomorrow): A Place of Yes by Bethenny Frankel (my addiction to Real Housewives knows no bounds), and Too Busy Not to Pray.

I guess the point of all of this is to say that if you need to find me, in between work and church, I'll be on the couch with my nose in a book. Unless someone is sitting on it.

I'm sorry, were you busy? Too bad, pay attention to me.

I also will be narrating conversations with my animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment