Monday, July 26, 2010

Dad's visit

My dad flew in from Raleigh on Friday and (sadly) goes back tomorrow morning. We've had such a good time taking him to our favorite places in Lawrence. I am, and always have been, a Daddy's girl...I love spending time with him and can never get enough! This was his first trip back here since we moved to Kansas last August, so Michael and I had had some time to discover some of the gems of this town (well, in our opinion anyway!) Over the past few days we've been to Arthur Bryant's bbq in Kansas City, Papa Keno's, walked around downtown Mass St., ate at The Burger Stand, the Basil Leaf Cafe, Sylas & Maddy's ice cream, did a cookout in the back yard, visited a local winery, perused the book selection at Borders, he experienced a Kansas thunderstorm, church at EastLake, and of course played with Penny, Pandy, and Tigger.

Today he went with me to my appointment at the prosthetics and orthotics place to get my inserts for my shoes! I broke my ankle on June 9th while taking out the trash and have been in a boot pretty much since then. It was a challenge for sure because I consider myself very self sufficient when it comes to taking care of myself, my home, the animals, etc., so it was humbling to be forced to rely on Michael and later, my sister Lyndsay, to help me to do simple tasks like feeding the animals, cleaning the house, even getting in the tub. Thankfully it didn't take me too long to get used to the boot and to get around on my own, but still...today was SUPER exciting because I am officially done with the boot! The boot came up to mid-calf length and was like its own personal heat lamp affixed to my leg...and this summer has been sweltering as it is! The inserts will help support my ankle as the bone fully heals and will also help with my spine realignment, according to the guy who made them for me. Dad VERY generously offered to pay for them since insurance doesn't cover them...I was speechless. His generosity is incredible.

After the appointment we picked up Michael and went to the Free State brewery for lunch. One of those 'have to go to' places while in Lawrence. It was strange to be able to get a table without waiting...lunch is definitely the time to go! No pictures, but I had a smoked turkey sandwich that was delish. Huge portions so I have half of it waiting for lunch for me tomorrow, yum!

Next on our agenda today was to go see Inception, the new Christopher Nolan movie. I won't give anything away, but holy mind trip batman! Do you remember Memento? Same sort of 'what in the world just happened' experience. I really, really liked it, but I feel like I need to see it again so I'll pick up on more details! After the movie we went to Kohl's and I picked up a new pair of sneakers. My old ones were too narrow for my feet, which definitely became apparent when I put in the inserts. The new ones are much roomier and will give my toes room to breathe!

So that's about it for my mini 'stay-cation' with dad. He goes back to the airport early tomorrow morning, and then I will need to get back to work. Thanks to my visit to Border's, I have at least 3 new books I want to get soon. Thank goodness for my iphone...I pulled up my amazon app and found EACH book was at least 6 bucks cheaper, and because I have a prime membership it comes with free shipping! I am forcing myself to finish the 3 books I am currently reading first before I get any new ones. At the moment I am currently reading Traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott for my growth group, Little Kids, Big City by Alex McCord and Simon Van Kempen (haha yes from the Real Housewives of NYC), and The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs. Next up I want to get Jen Weiner's new book, Mennonite in a Little Black Dress (can't remember the author), and Orange is the New Black, a memoir of a girl who was in prison for 13 months. Lots of variety for me. So here's a few pictures from this weekend:





Cookout from this weekend on our charcoal grill...kc strip steak, baked potato, grilled asparagus. Mmmm!



Penny is a champion at begging.



I can picture her saying "You guys are so mean!" after we banished her inside. Poor puppy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for a wonderful visit! At church practice I suggested we ditch the electronic drums and go acoustic like at Eastlake. Seems I am the only one with that opinion... oh well. It was great to see another perspective :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer! But would you really want to haul your drum kit to church every Sunday? ;) Actually, I bet you would, haha. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete