Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Food with Friends

Tonight was fun. Michael and I went over to a friend's house to hang out and have dinner. Her husband cooked an amazing pork tenderloin with some kind of sweet asian type of sauce and pineapple, with mashed sweet potato/regular potato mix, and apple pie for dessert. Good food, good times, and good friends...can't ask for anything more than that! Michael is already thinking of what he'd like to make for them as a way to return the favor. He is a great cook so I'm sure whatever it is, it will be yummy.

I also had chili from Sue, the leader of my Tuesday growth group, for lunch. I really could get used to meals from other EastLakers. They are all great cooks. And then there's me...lol. Oh well, at the very least I could whip up something sweet. I wouldn't call myself a terrible cook, I can follow a recipe and it will turn out fine. I'm just not very good at throwing things together. I am in awe of people who can just stare at their pantry and start experimenting, and have it turn out great. Michael and I plan our meals every Sunday before we go grocery shopping, so 90% of the time we know what we're eating for the week. The only way that changes is if one of us has a change in plans that would keep us out of the house during normal dinner hours, or we're too tired/lazy/etc. to cook. We are trying not to use this as an excuse. This past month has been pretty bad, eating out wise. We took a look at our bank account earlier and died a little bit on all the fast food/restaurant entries. So next month we have both resolved to really try to cut back on the spontaneous "I don't feel like cooking, let's get a pizza" moments. It's certainly not doing any favors for our weight loss efforts so it will be trimming two birds with one stone: our budget and our waist lines! Hopefully. :)

Less than a month away until Thanksgiving. Man am I excited. Not really for the food (although don't get me wrong, that will be fantastic) but because my dad will be here. I haven't seen him since July and I really miss him! He's the greatest. He flies in on my birthday on Nov 24th and will stay through that Saturday. I'm just a teensy bit bummed he can't stay through Sunday, so he could come to East Lake again...but ticket prices were so much higher to fly back on Sunday. Ya do what ya gotta do. Anyhoo...so there's that, and Michael's birthday is on Sunday! Halloween baby. :) I think it will be low-key. He wants to see a movie and have a cookie cake, and that's all I've been able to get out of him. But who am I to turn down cookie cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment