Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A case of the Mondays reversed

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things" (Philippians 4:8). I like to call this "parking my mind in a better spot."

It's so easy to park our minds in bad spots. To dwell and rehash and wish things were different. But to think on hard things keeps us in hard spots and only serves to deepen our feelings of emotional emptiness. This is where pity parties are held and we all know pity parties demand an abundance of high-calorie delights, eaten and eaten some more. But pity parties are a cruel way to entertain, for they leave behind a deeper emptiness than we started with in the first place." -Made to Crave

Love this! Yesterday started off not so great. I tried to be grateful for the blessings I have, but a little bit of the pity party still crept in about the whole tax situation. Then my cat puked-twice-on furniture. The house was a mess and the thought of cleaning seemed daunting because all I wanted to do was take a nap.

Before I did that, I checked the mail. In the mail was a handwritten note from my boss, thanking me for helping her with a project we'd slaved over the past month. I was touched that she'd take the time to do that-who gets handwritten letters anymore? But inside the letter was a visa gift card. On all days where a little windfall would be nice, God sent it to me on a day when I needed it most. It was definitely a "quit yer bitchin', I'm here and will provide for you if you freakin' trust me" moment (sometimes I like to picture God talking in slang. It would be funny, don't you think?)

After work, Tisha and I walked a mile and a half-it was one of the most beautiful days of the year. I hadn't even been outside other than to let Penny out, so it felt amazing to get out in the sunshine and spend time with her. Then I came home, ate a delicious taco salad prepared by Michael, and went to growth group, where i played with playdoh and learned about mindful speech.

Funny how a day can turn around when I enjoy the lovely and admirable parts of life, instead of dwelling on the crappier parts. I'm sure God just sits up there smiling when I realize stuff like this, like "attagirl!" Even if he had to use a 2x4 to clue me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment