Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Aurora and Stars




First post from little old me here! And it's about geeky stuff!

So tonight a coronal mass ejection hit Earth, a pretty nice sized one too. What's that mean? Aurora borealis, one that can be seen further south than the Arctic Circle. Northern Kansasbarely made it into the visible region. We went north of Lawrence to an old gas station that was pretty much closed (for the night or overall, dunno, but there was very little light),parked the car and saw what we could. At this latitude, it should show up as red glows. We saw a lot of red flashes to the north, I don't think it was heat lightning because it was only in the north.

Anyway I set up my camera with the tripod on a 60 second exposure and took two photos, one towards the horizon and then a fun shot of the stars.


See the red streaks just above the hill in the center and just to the right of the hill? I'm pretty sure that's it! And now, stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment