Thursday, September 2, 2010

just keep reading

Have you ever been sucked into a book so deeply that the next time you happen to look up, you can't believe what time it is? This is how I am still awake at 1:30 am. The book is called Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman. It is a nonfiction story of Kerman's year spent in a Connecticut prison after she was convicted of drug trafficking. The story itself of how she fell into that world, moved on, her past caught up with her, and then actually being in prison is fascinating. I guess on some level it's voyeuristic to me since that's so far removed from what I am that I can't help but just take it all in. So far I'm about half way through and I know I need to go to sleep, but I keep thinking, just one more page.

Thanks for all the comments on my last post. I didn't start out writing it with the intention to be mushy, it just happened as I started thinking more and more about how the past few months have changed me. I'm very blessed to have so many new friends!

Ok for real, I am putting the book down and going.to.bed. I heard a rumor that Starbucks now has their pumpkin spice lattes out, so I offered to drop Michael off on west campus in the morning so that I could swing by a Starbucks on the way home. Oh please, please let it be true!

1 comment:

  1. Have you read Eat, Pray, Love? That was the last book that I just couldn't put down and now I want to buy it just so I can highlight all over it when I read it again.

    I'm currently reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara Kingsolver. It's making me think more & more about going back to being a vegetarian. Goodbye Burger Stand.

    Oh I hope you got your latte! I may have to go on a search for pumpkin coffee popping up around town.

    Jells

    ReplyDelete